For the past season (or so), we've been evaluating the "Site Mail" and "Notification/Alerts" systems in the c2cschools.com members' area to see if they can be improved.
Over the next few weeks we'll be implementing a few important changes based on our findings and wanted to let our users know, ahead of time, about those changes in the hope that it will reduce or eliminate any surprises or misunderstandings.
Here's what we plan to do:
- We will be removing most or all of the "Site Mail" sub-system
- We will be updating how various "Send as Email" features work
- We will be improving "Alerts" in a way that reduces clutter and promotes prioritization and filtering.
We decided to make these changes based on information we gathered from observation, analytics, and user feedback.
Here's the high points of our rationale:
- Less than 10% of all "Site Mail" messages are ever opened by our users.
- All Site Mail is sent out as Email, making it a redundant system
- Less than 1% of our user base uses "Site Mail" to send messages
- "Site Mail" is the 2nd most significant contributor to login times/speed
- Many users have thousands of unread "Site Mail" messages
- A high percentage of our users have very large backlogs in the "Alert" system
- Many important "Alerts" are overlooked because they get buried in the list
- Many users have asked us to make certain alerts "expire" after a certain period of time.
We will roll out the changes to system using an iterative approach, in order to reduce the number of bugs that we create, but we do expect at least a few minor issues because these systems are built into the core of the c2cschools.com engine. If you experience any problems, please open a support ticket and we'll work to remove any issues as quickly as possible.
You are also welcomed, and even encouraged, to provide feedback and suggestions or ask questions regarding this change, in the comments section below.
We appreciate your ongoing support and we will continue to work hard to make our software the best that it can possibly be.
VP & CTO
Customer support service by UserEcho